Thursday, May 14, 2009

Melville Intermediate - Maori Haka

Today something special happened in Room 8. As you know our students are very excited about Mr Lamshed's class and his Boys Haka preparation for the upcoming Adelaide Arts Festival. Well having viewed their Haka numerous times online Destyn and Cleveland decided to model their own Haka for our friends in Australia and produce it here. That was the filming idea that they planned for, what I didn't expect was them to invite Tavita the Room Eight Teacher Aide to join in and also to do such an amazing performance. While this was filmed in the Hall the rest of Room 8 was in the classroom - I could hear the noise from the CLASS, which is a considerable distance away and I thought that they'd had a group of Boys doing Kapa Haka. Its an amazing intense performance and I am so, so proud of the Boys. Mr Lamshed and class this is for you.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! Fantastic work boys! That was intense! I can't wait to show that to my boys tomorrow. We'll be having Haka workshop so I'll show it to them before we go out. You guys have been a HUGE help to us. Tumeke!

    Mr Lamshed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love watching the All Blacks doing the Haka when I watch the rugby - (Don't tell anyone but if Wales aren't going to win I back the All Blacks). :-)

    Destyn & Cleveland, you've done an amazing job and shown great initiative in getting Tavita to join you.Top work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Destyn and Cleveland, Team 17 watched your video and we were very impressed. It is great that you are sharing your learning with other classes. We are pleased that you are putting us on your blog roll.
    Mr Wood and Team 17. Bailey Road School

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Room 8, I watched and listened to your haka and I thought you were very good. I want to learn the haka too so I can be that good! From Matt in Room 10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, very powerful. You really showed passion and strength which is needed when performing the Haka. Room 10 was blown away by this video. Tumeke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cleveland and Destyn, Thanks again for your great video. It has really helped us a lot. We worked on some of the things you talked about today. We talked about not smiling, looking forward, making stronger body movements and having more energy. Even tho we had a lot of kids away, we recorded our rehearsal today and have put in our blog. I think my boys have improved a lot. The next job is to get some serious Pukana happening!

    Mr Lamshed
    http://web.me.com/jarrod.lamshed

    ReplyDelete
  7. You scared me in a battle situation I would have been jelly! Great job guys. I thought that your voices sounded really good together too. Maybe you should try singing together?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Mr Lamshed - the Boys were thrilled to be able to perform this for the benefits of your students and are excited to be spreading their culture to other locations
    @ Team 17 Bailey Road School, Mr Wood we really love your blog so thanks for including a link in yours to this site.
    @ Room 10 Grey Lynn, thank you Matt for that feedback.
    @ Miss F, the boys will be pleased to hear this thank you very much
    @ Sue yes the Boys do sing a bit but they are a bit shy, I might try and convince them otherwise, so you never know

    ReplyDelete
  9. kia ora room 8 sweet haka hope to see more

    ReplyDelete