'Thank you for your message. We are fascinated by the Maori Mihi. We suppose every culture must have their own way of greeting one another and introducing one’s self. We thought the Maori way was very special.
After hearing about the Maori Mihi we talked about how Irish people greet one another and tell people about themselves. Like the Maori people the Irish people try to speak their own language (Irish/Gaeilge/Gaelic) as well as English.
We are doing a little work on this that we will send your way. It will have been somewhat influenced by your lovely Maori custom.'
Today in class in preparation for this collaboration we held a collective brainstorm session to see what the class knew about Ireland. None of the students in Room Five have ever been to Ireland, although Levi's Nan has been there on holiday and brought a t-shirt.
We discovered that we knew the following information about Ireland
1. Dublin is the capital of Ireland.
2. You can kiss the Blarney stone in Ireland and it gives you good luck.
3. Glenview Primary School last year for their school production had dances from around the world and one of the dancing acts that was Irish and the performers danced an Irish jig. Damien was in the audience and said that the dancers moved their legs from side to side.
4.We think that they have lots of pubs
5. Potatoes has something to do with Ireland
6. The Titanic was built in Ireland, Levi's Nan went to Ireland for a holiday and as a result of that trip she brought a t-shirt that had that fact upon it.
7. Fairies and Leprechauns are creatures from Ireland.
Our Room Five Ireland Brainstorm Wednesday 30th January 2013.