Monday, February 14, 2011

Melville Intermediate - Maori Mihi

A Maori Mihi is a traditional introduction that is given to other people usually on a Marae. At Melville Intermediate School all Y7 and Y8 students are required to know their own individual Mihi and be able to recite it. Last week we started working on these with our 2011 class. The first two examples are by Hayze and Mackenzie. We've deliberately left out the information in English to see just how much of the Mihi you can understand by listening. Filmed in the Room Eight ICT Lab area, Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton, Waikato on Friday 11th November 2011.

Maori Mihi 2011 from myles webb on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. you girls were really good at saying your mihi well done and thankyou for teaching me how to do a mihi

    sharon makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Mackenzie and Hayze
    Mackenzie, I heard that Sarah is your mother and Matt is your father.
    Hayze, I heard that your waka is Tainui. I wasn't sure of your mother, but I heard that Robin is your father.

    Ka pai
    Mrs McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora
    I didn't understand any of what was said but I really enjoyed listening. Your mihi has a very rhythmic and poetic feel to it. It sounded beautiful.
    Miss Docherty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello room 8
    I am overwhelmed by your wonderful descriptions of a mihi on our blog. :-D Thanks for taking the time to educate me about this wonderful tradition.

    In Scotland our ancestors are from clans just as yours are from tribes.
    It is wonderful to see that ancient traditions and culture is kept alive in New Zeland.

    Miss Docherty and The Brilliant Bloggers

    ReplyDelete